Wednesday, August 6, 2014

One Month Ago - Reflections from Jenna and Molly

It's been a little over a month since our team returned from Zambia.  In that time the Father has continued to speak, grow and challenge us.  I would invite you to read the words of Jenna and Molly as they reflect on the past two months.

Jenna

First, I would like to say thank you so much to all those who have supported us on this incredible adventure! Since returning from Zambia, the Lord has laid so many different things on my heart. I miss our M's and the amazing people we were able to work with so much that it is still difficult to believe it's already over. My heart is heavy, but I am confident that the Lord is working in amazing ways through our team even though we are no longer together. Here are just a few truths that have really stuck out in my mind from our time there. Truth number one: As followers of Christ, we have the freedom to live our lives by grace and not by guilt. "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8:1) His grace abounds, and when we live our lives like this is true, we do not have to feel guilty. His grace covers over us, and there is an indescribable freedom in that beautiful truth. Truth number two: My life is and should always be single-minded for the Gospel. Every part of my life should be about the Gospel of the Father. This is something I think I would have said before without actually knowing what it meant. However, now I understand what this means on a whole new level. I remember a few days after returning, I was at the doctor's office trying to think of how to bring up the Gospel with a woman who I had a
30 second exchange with as she took my payment. This never would have even crossed my mind before, but now I understand that every moment of every day, I should be looking for opportunities to share the Good News with all those around me, whether it makes me unpopular or not. I have an obligation to share the Gospel, and I never want to lose the importance of that truth in my life. Truth number three: He is always with me. Sometimes, it's easy to fall into the lie that we are all alone, and no one else understands. However, I've come to understand that whether I am surrounded by a sea of believers seeking after Christ with their whole hearts, or I am surrounded by people who wouldn't even say "God bless you" when someone sneezes, Christ is always with me. I am never alone because He is my greatest companion. He is my true joy and my refuge. 


Molly

Being home has been good, but it has also been hard. There have been many challenges and struggles. Since being home, I haven't been in a single place longer than two weeks. I feel like a nomad wondering around the US. Between moving into a new house at school, work, traveling back and forth to Texas, and going on a trip to Florida with my mom and sister, I've been all over the place! I constantly miss the people of Zambia. One of the sweetest things has been to have phone calls or text messages from those thousands of miles away. While in Africa, I believe that the Lord really revealed himself to me in a new way. He opened my eyes to see the true hearts of the people who are suffering and in need of a savior. It's funny, for some reason I thought that this brokenness I had felt so deeply in Africa would not be as severe here in the states. However, it has been absolutely overwhelming! I think that the difference is the lack of a desire for a savior here in the states as opposed to the desperation that is felt by many in Africa. In America, we have everything at our fingertips. One may see this as a blessing, but it can also be seen as a curse. The distractions that constantly implode our everyday lives can interfere with our daily walk by somehow causing us to think that we can fix our circumstances or problems ourselves or that if we can't fix it than we can find somebody else who can rather than solely handing 100% of our problems over to the Lord. There are people in need everywhere we go! Yes, our lives may seem hectic, but the Lord is so good and merciful that no matter what the circumstance may be, He will never leave us nor forsake us.
We are his children and he cares so deeply for us. It may have taken thousands of miles of travel, no running water, a dislocated finger, death of a dear friend's loved one, and a sick friend for me to realize just how merciful the Lord really is and just how deep His love is for the people of this world. The people of Zambia will always have a giant place in my heart, but more importantly, the lessons that I learned from the Lord on this trip through the people of Zambia as well as my teammates and our missionary family will be something that I will absolutely never forget and I will forever be thankful of His blessings.
   

Look for reflections from other team members in the coming days.






No comments:

Post a Comment